Sunday, January 3, 2010

This is so very Embarrassing


I can't begin to explain how embarrassing this is for me, but I'm going to do it anyway. Actually, you see the photo, so I'm sure you can imagine how embarrassing it is. This is part of our bedroom. It's been in a bad way for a long time. I don't know how long, I can't remember that far back. I do know that the box was originally filled with stuff to get rid of the look of clutter for my son and his family's visit several years ago, but I never did anything about the actual clutter. Now I am.


What is even more embarrassing is that I had actually put several things away before I remembered to take the photo. All of the clothes on the bed had been on that pile at the end of the bed. Now, they are all hung up or folded to be put away. I had also put away a large hat box. The quilts that are there have been de-furred and are waiting to be washed. I've found several quilting books, lots of quilting fabric, two complete quilt projects, three completed quilt tops that are ready for me to quilt and two completed quilts that I told the guild's VP of Community Service I would bind years ago! (I had wondered what had happened to those quilts!) I'm only half way through the box and my sinuses are going crazy.
My goal is to find new places for everything in the big box and all the things around the box on the floor. I also want to clean out the wood chest at the end of the bed. I think it's full of baseball cards or maybe canning supplies or even a combination of both. I want to start storing extra bed pillows in there. Then after I complete this particular part of the room, I'll show you a new photo and pick out the next part to clean. Don't know how long it will take me. I mean it didn't get this way because I like to clean, you know what I mean? But I am trying to turn over a new leaf in my life. So, off of here and back to it. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Hanging Out With The Bunch said...

I am so proud of you. The cold truth is that bedrooms just get like yours without us noticing. We sort of get accustomed to what is in there.

Today I almost posted a photo of my pantry because it ashames me so much but right now I am just plain tired. Went to grocery store this morning. Put stuff away, cooked chili, cleaned up and feed hubby and FIL. Oh and laundry. Taking a break then may sew.

Keep up the good work. I'll bet it was fun finding those projects. Now you can use them to be creative.

pam q said...

Well, I'm glad to see that someone else has a big mess to deal with!

Ha! Ha!

I've been working on my little room for a week now and you really can't tell...

I forgot to take a "before" picture though. I do plan to take pictures of the piles of junk that are going out the door......

Keep at it, Sharon! I'll be back in the trenches tomorrow!

The McClendons said...

I feel your pain. I am beyond anal about cleaning/organizing, but I am the only one in my household who does it, and I'm not inherently a tidy person. My fear is that if I stop, our house will start to look like an episode of Hoarders. My husband might be the messiest person I have ever met in my life. Sometimes he literally takes the wrapper off something and drops it on the ground. Sigh. With three little ones (or should I say, with TWO little boys) and two dogs, nothing stays clean for long. I think I have mopped six times in one day before I just gave up.

There is a website, I may have already told you about it, called Flylady.com and it's so helpful. It starts you off slow, by having you clean your sink every day. I know that sounds odd, but on days when you can't get anything to go the way you want it, there is a certain sastisfaction in a clean, shiny sink. Anyway, then it adds something else once you've mastered that. Now I have had to modify her routine some, but it still helps me keep an eye on areas that otherwise might get away from me.

I also did One Year to An Organized Life by Regina Leeds and that helped me create systems that work for me where I had none in place.