Wednesday, July 22, 2009

In the Stands






Last night, my friend Kari treated me to a Texas Rangers baseball game. It was guaranteed that one of us would leave happy and the other would not. The Rangers were playing the Boston Red Sox. She is a Boston fan and I am a Rangers fan.








I used to go to about 10 games a year with my friend Marianne. She passed away last October. This was the first game I had attended since her death. Actually it was the first I had attended without her since we had first started to attend games together all those years ago. If it hadn't been for Kari, I might not have ever gotten back in the saddle, so to speak. I owe her a very big debt of gratitude. I drove myself there and met her, a first for me. I even got there before Kari and sat alone until she arrived. In the past I would have felt self-conscious, but it didn't bother me a bit. I even enjoyed everything I was watching and doing. I may be able to go to games totally alone in the future. Of course it's always more fun with a friend and I do hope someone will end up going with me, but
there's no reason to stay home if no one can. What a gift Kari gave me!








In the past games I've attended between the Rangers and the Red Sox, the Red Sox have beat the Rangers in every single game. And I do mean every single game! Not only that, but the Sox fans were more than rude. They were hostile and rude! Throwing things at Ranger fans and using fowl language, just to name a couple of things. Last night was different! The fans were every bit as vocal about their love for their Sox, but they were fun, not rude in the least.
The game was going pretty dog gone quick. There was a pitcher's duel going on. It started at 7:07 PM and I'm pretty sure it was over just after 9 PM. With the Rangers winning! And the crowd went wild! OK, I may be exaggerating just a bit. Half of the crowd was extremely happy, but there is a huge Boston fan base in Texas and they were more than a little disappointed. Final score Sox 2 Rangers 4. I didn't take a picture of the final score. I was too busy heading for my car as soon as they said "BALL GAME!". I live a good 2 hours from the ball park and the longer it takes to get my car, the longer the drive because the traffic stacks up. I made it home just after 11 last night. For me, it was a good night all the way around!
Thank you, Kari!


No comments: