Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Art Every Day Month -- Day 18


I hand quilt my small quilt projects in a 14" hoop. I have a large hoop stand that I prefer to use, but it's really too big for something this small. Even if I added fabric to all four of the sides, it would still be awkward and uncomfortable to work on something this small in it. I think that may be why I made large quilts for so long.
Most of my quilts have been given away as gifts. I have many less quilts in my home than most quilters do. That's just the way it is. And now that I've finally, finally started to make art quilts, I may never make another large bed quilt again.
I don't know if "art" quilt is even the right term to use for my newest quilts. I know that they are totally my own creation. They are one of a kind, even if I use the quotes again, the fabrics will be different and more than likely the way it's quilted will be different also. Pattern will be different. I know that these quilts are creative and come from what I feel. Maybe that is an art quilt.
This photo shows me quilting on "Happy". I'm sitting at my sewing/computer table. My sewing machine can be been pushed to the side. The computer key board is under the quilt. If you look closely, under the light, you can see the door hangers I've been working on occasionally also. My needle threaders are on and near the sewing machine, along with various sewing paraphernalia. These are the things that make me happy.

2 comments:

Susie said...

I think "art quilting" is the perfect phrase. How wonderful that you have given so many of your quilts away. What special treasures for the recipients. And now to be creating quilts that are one of a kind and from your heart is so great. Your picture looks like a very happy space.

pam q said...

Is that an Ott Light I see??

If so, do you like it?

Your quilt is lookin' good! Can't wait to see it all done!