Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Art Every Day Month -- Day 10


I want to thank everyone who has left comments on my blog lately. I can't tell you how much I appreciate and enjoy them all! This Art Every Day challenge is really making me feel connected. If you haven't checked it out, I highly recommend that you click on the link above and go see some of the other art being made. The challenge lasts through November.
I am having so much fun with this quilt! I've been wanting to make a quote quilt for so very long. This is my first one, but I believe it will be a new series for me. I love words on quilts. Words, writing, quotes, sayings -- you name it, they don't even have to be legible as long as I can tell that it's writing. They draw me in every single time. I went to the Houston Quilt Festival a few weeks ago and most of the quilts I photographed had words on them. I'm a sucker for them.
This project started with just cutting the fabric and then sewing it together in whatever felt right. I was pondering what quote to use when I spotted the church sign down the highway. "Thou Shall NOT Steal Pecans!" is what I decided to put on the quilt. I thought it was so funny when I saw the sign. Of course I feel bad for the church having their pecans stolen, but it sure made for an interesting photo and I think it will be a wonderful little quilt! I plan to put a photo transferred image that shows the sign on the back of the quilt along with the label.
This is all the progress I made today on it. It took me forever to decide what color thread to use for the wording. Now, I want to move the location of the word "Thou" from where I have it written and I just had to rip out the "shall" because I didn't like how it looked. So I've put it aside for the rest of the night. I'm already looking forward to tomorrow.

4 comments:

Kathryn Costa said...

AEDM is a wonderful tribe. Sorry to hear about the stolen pecans. I'd love to see that sign.

Anonymous said...

Cool quilt; it's sort of quirky your steal pecans. Almost begs a play on words: steel pecans. I kind of liked just your partial quote "not steal pecans", make me wonder! Fun meeting you through AEDM.

ExpressiveHart said...

So fun to see your quilt evolve. It is fascinating to see all the ways our creative inspiration takes shape and form.

RedorGrayArt said...

this made me laugh...thanks for stopping by and leaving such encouragement!