Monday, May 4, 2009

Touched

I had an email today from Raquel who came across my blog this morning. Of special interest to her was the posting Support our Military from yesterday. She started a website a little over a year ago to send care packages to our troops stationed in Iraq and is herself a former US Army Officer. She now volunteers her time in support of our troops, both through her website and as a civilian volunteer admissions representative at the US Military Academy at West Point. Needless to say, when she asked me to check out her website Cypress Cares, I did and I hope you will too.


I know that in these economic times, money is extremely tight for many of us. I know that we've cut down on many little extras or flat cut out the extras because we're having trouble paying the bills. Our work hours have been cut or you may have even lost your job. Charities are still in need and we all want to help. Most of the ones that call me, honestly even the ones that I've always been a faithful supporter of, often make me feel quite guilty because I just can't help in the way I have in the past. Cypress Cares has a list of many things that you can send and the one thing that struck me, that I can do to help right this minute -- is to send a check for $12! Twelve dollars will send one package to Iraq for a service person! That's something I can do each payday. There is also a link to order a AAFES (Army and Air Force Exchange Service) gift card or a phone card on the website and believe me, that is something any of the military personnel in Iraq can use. Those are just a couple of the ways to help that you don't even have to start up your car!


That being said, I'm going to go back and print out the list of suggested items to donate and be on the look out for them when I'm shopping. Maybe I can find them on sale or if I happen to get one for myself, maybe I'll be able to go ahead and pick up a couple for the troops too. I can always send them on when I get a few things together!

Thank you for your email, Raquel. I look forward to checking out your Cypress Cares website often. Good luck with it and thank you for all the good you're doing. You and all the people who help you. Thank you.

**By the way, if any of you would like to add the information about Cypress Cares to your own blog, feel free to do so. That comes from Raquel herself!

No comments: