Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

I hope everyone has been having a wonderful long weekend. I've enjoyed mine, my hubby hasn't. I'm feeling better, he's come down sick. I was apparently contagious and didn't realize it.

Of course the reason for the long weekend is to remember our fallen military heroes, not just to cook out and party. I've told y'all before that I've had several members of my family serve in the military and I'm very proud of them. We've been extremely fortunate that we have not lost any of them in the service to our country, but there are so many families who cannot say that. Today is the day to remember those who have given their lives for our freedom. To say a little prayer of thanks to them and to their families. To add a wish for comfort, to that little prayer, for their families and friends. To honor all that has been lost for us.

That was brought home to me again last night as I talked to my son on the phone. You may remember that he is active duty Air Force stationed at Edwards. They've had two crashes there in less than two months. The most recent was last Thursday. Both of the test pilots in these crashes died. My son was one of many assigned to find debris from the most recent crash. The debris was scattered over several miles. He was sunburned and disheartened. It really got to him. It got to me. When you drive around Edwards AFB, the streets named for a person, are all named for pilots who have died in crashes. It's something you can't forget on that base. It's a dangerous job. These guys love it and sometimes, they give their lives for it and for us in the pursuit of it.

God bless them and all the military who have given their all for us. Men and women. Fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, friends. Thank you doesn't seem like it's enough, but what more can I say? Thank you for your sacrifice.

For all the active duty military: As I've said in the past, freedom is not free. I pray we never forget that and I pray that our leaders will choose wisely when it comes to putting you in harms way. Stay safe. Thank you for your service to our country.

No comments: