Sunday, May 3, 2009

Support our Military!

Don't even try to get me to talk politics or religion, because unless I know you really well or feel extremely comfortable with you and the possibility of disagreeing with you, I won't do it. Let's just agree to disagree and continue to be friends (or even family!).

That being said, I don't care what your personal political views are -- there is no reason not to support our military and their families. Having been a military wife (my husband was in the Air Force) and being a military mom (my son is now in the Air Force) I can tell you that I have had family members in harm's way and freedom is not free. My husband served in peace time and my son has not been in the line of fire as yet, but that does not mean that he won't be. That is a fact that every military family lives with. Uncertainty is always a part of your life.

I was hopping around the Internet earlier today, looking at different blogs when I came across In The Meantime. I loved her April 30th posting. There were several fun things in it. One of them being a report by Stephen Colbert about supporting the schools that the children of the military attend. What a great idea! I'm sure that nothing would be more welcome to a service man or woman than to know that their child was being supported while they were away supporting us! Help them get the best education they can get. That's always at the top of a parents list for their child. Mr. Colbert has set up a website with Donors Choose that lists many different school projects that need funding within many different schools around the country. Each school has a minimum of 50% of their students being from military households. I hope that you will take a look and donate whatever you can. The youth of today are the leaders of tomorrow and I know that many of our schools are a far cry from great now. Helping a child to learn in the United States of America may be the best thing you ever do for your country and for your military.

No comments: