Sunday, March 29, 2009

I usually enjoy quilt retreats

The one I went to (for the day) yesterday, started normally and I was having a great time. The ladies were pretty much all from my small group, Going to Pieces. I don't know Shelley and Gail well and I was really enjoying visiting with them and getting to know them a little better. Jo was there too. I just adore her! Jo is not a member of our small group, but comes to the retreats with Cleola, who is. I only get to see Jo at these retreats and sometimes the Dallas quilt show.




I love seeing everything that the ladies are working on. They didn't disappoint, although I didn't get pictures of everything. I told them I was going to put their projects on my blog. Gail was hand piecing a pink doll quilt. You can see her little blocks in the first picture. The second picture is of blocks in Christmas colors that Nina was working on. Really beautiful fabrics. The nine patch stars with purple points are Carol's. I can't wait to see how she plans to set the blocks. I've seen these blocks set in a way that give the impression of curves in a quilt. I wonder if she's planning to do that also?







The picture of the completed quilt is one that Nancy had on the wall. Nancy and her husband, Neil own the retreat center in Emory. Nancy said she made it from 3 and a half inch squares that she had asked everyone who stayed at the center to leave her during the year of 2007. The pattern was originally a mystery quilt, I believe. I know I retreated there a time or two during 2007, but I couldn't remember what fabric I left. I saw several that I own in the quilt. It's a fun quilt. I took lots of pictures of it. Maybe I'll make one myself someday.







I worked on "Three Rivers" while I was there. I didn't have to take my machine that way and everything fit into one little bag. A great way to go to retreat! I finished one river. Started another one and I also cut some of the length of the fabric off. I want it to be obviously wider than longer. I'm extremely happy with the silk I'm using for the blue. It shimmers like water in sunshine.




Another thing that is loved about quilt retreats is the food. All of these ladies can really cook! Jo makes a pound cake that has added more than a few pounds to us over the years! I wasn't there long enough to eat much this time, but I did try Sue's blueberry scones. They were amazing! And Shelley and I made a great oriental chicken salad (her recipe) that I'm hoping to make again some day.




Sometime after lunch, I was hit with a huge wave of crushing sadness. I don't know if it was because it was the first time I had been there since Marianne had passed away or if it was that I had had to have a uterine biopsy on Friday. Maybe it was a combination of both. I just know that I couldn't shake it and I decided to leave a little after 3 PM instead of staying until about 10 PM, like I had originally planned. When it stops being fun, it's time to go.





It was good to get home and I feel great today. All sadness is gone. All worry is at bay. I'll find out next week about the biopsy. I'll still miss Mo, but the next retreat there will be easier. Life goes on.

No comments: