Friday, May 14, 2010

Most Precious Gift -- Life

I read a letter today that my son received earlier in the week. It had me in tears for quite a while. It was a letter telling us a little about the people who received the organs that were donated per M's wishes at her death on March 26th of this year.

Her left kidney went to a 55 year old married, father of two in TX who likes to fish. He's now doing well.

Her right kidney went to an 11 year old boy in CA. He has several siblings and he's been on dialysis for more than a year. He enjoys playing soccer and riding his bike. It says that his family is very grateful for his second chance.

Her heart went to a 51 year old man in CA who is now doing very well.

Her liver went to a 58 year old woman in CA who is the mother of three children. She enjoys spending time with her family and friends. She asked that they send M's family this message: "Thank you for the gift of my life. I am so sorry for your loss."

I'll have to admit that I've been more than a little angry with M on more than one occasion this week. Then I read this and just lost it all. She did indeed do a lot of good during her life. She was a good person, who was mentally ill and caused problems because of that mental illness toward the last part of her life. I need to try harder to concentrate on the good. Like the three beautiful grandchildren she gave me. The fun she and I had together early in her marriage to my son. And now, the extremely generous gift of life that she gave to 4 people. I'll cry from now on when I think of that. Four families have their loved ones with them today, because of M. When I stop and think of that, I am totally blown away by her generous spirit. She did have one. I saw it years ago. And now again at the end of her life, I've seen it again.

God Bless you all.

No comments: