Friday, February 6, 2009

Have I Done This Before?



Here is a picture of my completed miniature quilt for the Quilt Celebration live auction, which will be held on March 14th this year. I've done a series of lime type green and purple pineapple quilts for the auction over the years. I can't even remember how many. Is this the fourth, fifth? Have there been even more than that?


The first one was made from two hand painted fat quarters for a challenge category that year in the auction. I made all nine blocks from those two fat quarters and I was hooked! I finished up the quilt with batik fabrics used for the border, binding and backing.


This little pineapple is the only foundation pieced pattern I really enjoy making. I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much if I hadn't discovered the play between the two batik fat quarters! I've made several of these quilts and love them all. I only wish I had taken pictures of them all. "Have I Done This Before?" is so similar in color to the others that I've made for the auction, that it felt very much like I'd made the quilt before by the time I finished. I may have to make one more in these colors in order to end the series.


The blocks in the completed mini were actually made as possible alternate blocks for another mini I'm making. I've been working on it off and on for more than 2 years now. I just can't seem to really make what I pictured when I started it. These are the blocks in that quilt, which I have affectionately named "Turtle in a Blender". I plan to have it finished by the quilt show so that I can turn it over to it's new owner.

No comments: