Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Black Cat is finished

The binding was a bit of a creative challenge for me. I think I failed in what I had originally planned, but I like it none the less. First, I tried to bind the little quilt in thread. It took me at least two hours to stitch the part I photographed (above). It gave me a very sore thumb and was extremely difficult with the large needle I used. It took me only about two minutes to snip it all out after I decided that it just wouldn't work. For one thing, I didn't have the time.

My next choice would have been black fabric, but I couldn't find it in my stash. So, on to plan C! I had some beautiful red batik out that I'm using for another mini that I hope to complete in time for the auction. It's a favorite and I know I can get more of it, if I happen to use too much in the binding of Black Cat. That was my final choice and I do hope it looks OK. Irregardless, it's done. I just have to put the hanging sleeve on it before I turn it in next Thursday at the Guild meeting.

Here is a picture of the back of the quilt. All of the threads and knots show. I think it looks interesting, but it's certainly not normal for a quilt. This one is more of an art quilt miniature, so it works just fine. In art quilts, you can do whatever you want to.

1 comment:

jude said...

this little quilt is wonderful. i like how you handled the quilting stitches...