Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Crows

I've always heard that things are bigger in Texas. Whoever first said that has never seen the crows on Edwards Air Force Base in CA! I tell you, these things could carry off a small child! They're about the size of a Volkswagen Bug with wings. OK, that may be a very slight exaggeration, but they are big! I'm sure the crows are not unique to the base, but it's something that's here that I haven't been able to get used to yet.

Something else that always startles me are the sonic booms! It's pretty cool to see the F-16's flying over head and the occasional Stealth Bomber is really enjoyable for me since I live out in the TX countryside normally. But those sonic booms almost make me wet by britches every single time.

We have wind in TX, of course and I don't like it. I hate it here because it's constant and stronger. At least it seems to be at this time of year. My allergies are in overdrive. Probably has to do with the fact that Edwards is in the desert. So different from home. I'm sure my life is not nearly as different to me as the kids lives are to them and they're still in the same house, at this point.

1 comment:

pam q said...

I know what you mean---I live about 60 miles or so from Ellsworth AFB and it is quite a sight to see those huge bombers up in the air! I think these are the B-1 bombers.

And when they do a fly-by for the Deadwood 4th of July parade...oh my!!! The whole house just shakes! Kitty used to run and hide..........I thought about hiding with her..........