Monday, October 5, 2009

Monday Question # 7

From The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph. D. Question: If you were at a friend's house for Thanksgiving dinner and you found a dead cockroach in your salad, what would you do?

My answer: I would say nothing. I probably would not be able to finish the salad, but I know that it wouldn't kill me or anyone else, so I'd keep my mouth shut. I'd eat the rest of my meal, trying not to think of what could have possibly run though it or actually be in it also. The reason I'd do this is that it could happen to anyone. I would not want to embarrass or upset my friend or any of the other guests and I certainly wouldn't want to make a scene.

*Many years ago, I lived in a southern state that was very humid and had a large cockroach population. One of my in-laws lived in the same area, in an apartment and had a huge problem with roaches. When we would be invited over for dinner, I would rinse off my utensils and eat the food, shutting out all thoughts of the roaches. The in-law was a wonderful cook and I just decided that they did everything within their power to make sure the food was free of all the things it should be free of.

No comments: