Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Hair

I have old hair now. I'm going to be 50 in a couple of weeks. I'm not upset by that number because it sure as hell beats the alternative and I'm more comfortable in my own skin than ever before, but I'm not overly happy about my hair. I've never dyed it. It's my natural color. The only thing I've ever done to my hair in the past, besides cut it, is to perm it, many years ago. I have some grey. That doesn't bother me. Never has. I'm not all that vain. Although, I am more vain that I used to be. At one time (in my late 30's probably) I saw an interview with Tyne Daly, who said she celebrated her 50th birthday by shaving all the hair off of her body. And I do mean all of the hair off of her whole body! I thought that was pretty cool and decided I'd do the same thing. Well, the closer I got to 50, the more I thought I probably would not do that. Tyne is a more courageous woman than I or I am indeed more vain than she. Maybe both.

So today I get out of the shower and dried my hair. Then I look in the mirror and realize it looks so dull and lifeless. I have old hair now. That makes me a little sad. Even more sad than the sagging breasts, the flapping arms, the smile lines and other wrinkles. But, I digress and I go to places neither of us want to picture at this time of day. When I was much younger, I promised my dad that I would never dye my hair. I may have to break that promise one day because if the commercials are to be believed, that's all I have to do to get my shiny hair back.

1 comment:

pam q said...

Oh Sharon.

That certainly is a lot of sagging and flapping that you mention.

Just wait until you are 53 like me.

{hee hee hee}

I don't dye my hair.

And, for sure, I wouldn't shave off ALL my hair.

ugh.

Ah, that post just made me smile.