Monday, January 26, 2009

Checking In and Catching Up

I've meant to post at least three other times this month and haven't gotten to it. It's been a great month. I had a birthday early in the month. I turned 49. My sweet husband pointed out that I was starting my 50th year! I hadn't thought of that! Doesn't matter. I'm just grateful to be here.

One of my gifts was a little camera for my computer and for my son's computer. I down-loaded Skype and as of the 17th of this month, I get to see my grandchildren (while talking to them on the computer!) for the first time since July of 2007! I've loved every minute of it! The kids are so fun. I would never have even realized I could do this if it weren't for one of my quilting friends, Micki. After I told my husband about it, he had the unmitigated gall to tell me he had heard about Skype in the past! To make matters more deadly for the menfolk in my family, my son already had it! Neither of them had ever mentioned it to me, even though I was constantly upset over not seeing the kids! Lucky for them, I don't follow through on my murderous feelings. They both continue to draw breath.

I ordered another of my gifts last night. I've wanted a personalized license plate since I first stared to drive! Well, yesterday, I ordered one! AND it's got a quilt related personalization! I'm plum tickled and I can't wait to get it!

I enjoyed watching the Inauguration. A very historic moment that I was glad that I lived to see. I wish Marianne had. She was a big Obama supporter.

I've done a lot of reading this month. I read all eight of the books in the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. The first book is Dead Until Dark. Then I read the most recent book in the Stephanie Plum series. It's a "between the numbers" book, entitled Plum Spooky by Janet Evanovich. I couldn't read any of these books fast enough and I loved every word of all of them. They were funny and a pure delight to me. I can't wait for the next in each series. Right now, I'm reading Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral by Kris Radish.

I've been sewing again and really enjoying it. I've sewn about a million half square triangles (with the help of half square triangle papers) in white on white fabric with 30's reproduction fabrics for a swap. I've also made some churn dash blocks for a birthday swap. We mail the blocks with a card for each participants birthday. Last but not least, I've made a couple of heart blocks for friends who have had surgery.

Next sewing things on the horizon are a mini or two for the Quilt Celebration auction which is coming up. The most important project is a memorial quilt for the parents of a baby who did not survive. They've been waiting way too long for this quilt. I've had a hard time working on it. It makes me very sad every time I pull it out. I wish I had never told them I'd do it, but I did and I will.

The Closer comes back on tonight. I love that show. I'm going to work on my cat mini while I watch. Generally, I'm a happy woman.

No comments: