Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

I just joined the Army of Women this morning. I was with my friend Marianne when I first heard of this new research group started by Dr. Susan Love, President of the Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation, who has partnered with the Avon Foundation to get one million healthy women signed up to volunteer for breast cancer research. We both looked at each other and said "I can do that!".

That was a few days ago. Despite my good intentions, I forgot all about it. Fortunately, O the Oprah magazine had a tiny article about it. So, I went right to the website
www.armyofwomen.org to check it out! They want women of all ages and ethnicities. I fit in that category! Quoting from O "The commitment is only what you want it to be; women might be asked simply to donate blood, saliva or small amounts of tissue." It said basically the same thing on the website, so I joined the list of volunteers. Now, I'm one in a million. Or I will be when one million are signed up. Hopefully, we'll end this disease before my grandchildren are old enough to get it.

Another site I'd like to mention is
www.thebreastcancersite.com/clicktogive You can go to this site and click on the pink rectangle on the upper right hand side of the page and help fund free mammograms for low income women! There is no cost to you and no catch. Just something wonderful to do for your fellow woman. While you're there, you can look at the things for sale on the site too and possibly find something you need to purchase. Each purchase also helps fund mammograms. You'll notice that there are other tabs at the top of the clicking page for Animal Rescue, Child Health, Hunger, Literacy and the Rainforest. You can click on any or all of those also and help to fund different things related to each one.

2 comments:

Simply Molly said...

This may be a stretch but there is a site called Tomsshoes.com. The idea is you buy a pair of shoes or other "Toms" products and for each purchase you make, they give a pair of shoes to a child in need. They have helped thousands of children already but I'd really like to see this organization grow even more.
I own a few pairs myself and the shoes have really hip designs! They are super comfortable and slide on so no more straining to bend down in size too small jeans to lace up your shoes! =)
I try and give gift cards to the site when I can.
It's an awesome cause so you should check it out!

I'm on my way to the site you mentioned! Sounds neat!

Anywho, hope all is well=) Love u!

Sharon said...

I'll check them out. I have odd feet thought and most cool shoes doen't fit me correctly. Not fun.