Friday, February 12, 2010

Favorite Movies?

I sometimes get email questionnaires from friends. I enjoy filling them out and sending them back. I learn quite a lot about my friends from these questionnaires and I think they can be fun as long as we don't do them too close together. The one question that always makes me crazy though is "what is your favorite movie?"! I always leave that question until last while I ponder and stew over the answer. Most of the time, I can't pick one, so I'll answer it with "I can't pick just one" or "I can't think of one" or something else equally stupid. When the answer is, in actuality, quite a long one.

The first thing I wanted to be when I grew up was an actor. In high school, I realized I couldn't do accents (or maybe it was that I couldn't get rid of the one I have, which I refused to believe I even had until about 5 years ago!) and that I really didn't have any talent for acting. I had already given up on wanting to be an actor by then anyway because I had become self conscious by that time. I wanted to be a film critic now! Around the time I was in high school, I realized that there only seemed to be about 5 film critics on earth and that one of them would probably have to die before I could get a job. None of them seemed near death, so I gave up on that dream too and just continued to go to the movies for the sheer love of escapism.

There was a time in my life, when I would go to 3 movies in one day. Now, I seldom go to a movie at all. I find the price of a ticket offensive and seldom is the movie worth the cost to me anymore. The exception to that was one I saw recently -- The Blind Side with Sandra Bullock. I would pay full, night time price to see that movie. It's worth every penny.

As for all time favorite movies, I decided I should make a list of ones that I would like to own and that I would gladly watch more than once. Here is my list of favorite movies and I should warn you, it's likely to be updated at any time. I am getting older and my memory is not what it used to be. I'll probably remember six others as soon as I post this. These are in no particular order either.

1. True Grit (own it)
2. Jeremiah Johnson
3. Gone with the Wind
4. The Wizard of Oz
5. The Quiet Man
6. The Night of the Grizzly (with Clint Walker - own it)
7. Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley (this one actually surprises me, but every single time it's on, I stop what I'm doing and watch it)
8. The Sting
9. Shakespeare in Love
10. The Blind Side (I plan to buy this one)

No comments: