Monday, June 15, 2009

Re-enlistment




My son sent me pictures today of him at his re-enlistment signing on the tenth of this month. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to copy them to the blog yet. He's been in the Air Force for 10 years and just signed up for 6 more. This is his second re-enlistment. The second time he has completed his commitment and could have come home to live near his family and be free to do as he pleased when he pleased. He re-enlisted to provide for his family and serve his country. I cannot begin to tell you of my pride in my son and I cannot begin to express my sorrow at having them far from home for another 6 years. Especially since I know there will be at least 4 more after that. He told me before the first four years were over that he planned to make a career of the Air Force. Time is flying by, but seems to drag on a daily basis as they live their lives away from us. The children grow up knowing us only from visits and phone calls. This is not what I pictured when I pictured having children and grandchildren. I thought they would live a few miles from us. We would have them on occasional weekends and some nights so their parents could go out. Life doesn't always turn out like you plan, but it's still good and I'm thankful for what we do have. ** Photos added on 6/20/2009.

2 comments:

Madelaine said...

Thank God for men like him....you must be very proud.

Sharon said...

I am indeed. He's a good man too. I'm very blessed to have him for my son.